Sep 24, 2008

OUT AND ABOUT


I took a spin out today. Heading out past Brodgar first there was little to be seen along the shore. The fields held a few Mipits milling about. A spin to Voy revealed more at the far end of Stenness loch. In the lee of the skerries Newly arrived Widgeon sheltered from the breeze. The scope revealed a good spread of the usual suspects. Rolling past Voy its self put up the usual Sparrows and Greenfinches. The bay beyond was teeming with Greylag Mallard and Widgeon, Along the rocks roosting Lapwings and Curlews stood immobile. My attention was drawn by a flock of wee birds circling over the old mill. As I moved towards the junction they moved to the roof of the house on the corner. Dead right…I hopped off the bike and snapped a couple of shots through the scope.

Flocks of Twite are all over the west mainland at the moment I saw four flocks of twenty to thirty+ in the course of 90mins today. Heading off I spin on to Rango for more Twite… Rango holds loads of BH gulls a few common waders and little else but as I was about to leave I spy a nice Ruff feeding quite close to me. This perks me up no end as it is another bird for my county photo year list…check it out at this link( if links work in the blog….hehe)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=105215

Heading back home I take a stop at the loons hide. Theres not much to see but a Moorhen is being quite entertaining whilst preening so I snap a few shots and some film as it starts to resume feeding. There are also two common Scoters feeding away. I manage to get some film of one feeding then a couple of stills. Unfortunately a couple more birders enter the hide so that’s the end to the didgiscoping as the hides a bit bouncy with folk in. A quick spy along the Loch of Banks produces a few Redshank and little else so it’s the coop and home for me. A nice cup of coffee and a look at some fuzzy pics. It’s a reasonable day when I can get another snap on the year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment